Capitol Guided Tours
- Schedule early.
- Scheduling tours for the next year begins the first weekday in August. By December, most of the prime times for the spring are taken. The spring is School Field Trip Season.
- 30-minute guided tours are available:
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
9:00, 11:00 a.m., 1:00 & 3:00 p.m. Saturday, Sundays and most holidays
Call (800) 868-7672 to schedule
- Advanced reservations are suggested and required for groups of 10 or more. For your safety, and the safety of others, group size is limited to 80.
- The Capitol and Welcome Center are accessible for individuals with special needs.
Capitol Gift Shop
- The Pennsylvania Capitol Gift Shop is located off the East Wing Rotunda and is open most weekdays from 10 am to 3 pm.
Capitol Preservation Committee Shop
- The Pennsylvania Capitol Preservation Committee Gift Shop is located on the Fifth Floor of the Main Capitol Building in Room 630 (numbering is strange due to the E-floor). You may also visit the committee’s website at: http://www.cpc.state.pa.us/.
- The Capitol Restaurant offers a variety of food choices. Information on the restaurant and services can be obtained by visiting www.candjcatering.com.
- If you are brown-bagging or catering your lunch, tables in the East Wing area of the Capitol can be reserved for your use. To reserve these tables, contact the Tour Guide Office at (800) 868-7672. The tables, which seat 192, are school cafeteria style, with backless seats attached to the table.
Keep in mind, the State Museum is OPEN ten (10) Mondays and ten (10) Tuesdays in the spring to help accommodate school field trips (otherwise, the State Museum is closed Mondays and Tuesdays).
There are four (4) public entrances to the capitol. They are: front door on Third Street, East Wing entrance on Commonwealth Avenue (this is the handicapped entrance); North Office Building on North Street (across from the Keystone Building), and the Irvis Office Building entrance on South Drive (accessible through capitol park area off Walnut Street).
During the week groups MUST enter through the East Wing Entrance on Commonwealth Avenue (by the fountain). Capitol Police will not permit groups exceeding 20 to enter through the front door on Third Street during the week.
Be aware of security procedures. Even if you’ve visited before, it is in your best interest to obtain the most recent, up-to-date security information.
Allow at least 15 minutes to be processed through security. Even if you are not part of a group, you may end up behind one entering the building. Items confiscated will NOT be returned. Promote, If you don’t need it; don’t bring it.
Incorporate time into the day’s activities for restroom breaks. It is important to be on time for your tour to maintain your schedule for the day and to avoid delays for other scheduled groups.